The Regional Economic Development Initiative has started the “work” phase in 2010 – 2011, and has really begun to produce results! This year we created great new possibilities within our region in areas of tourism, transportation, agriculture and forestry.
Some of our recent highlights include:
- The creation of a locally supported destination marketing organization, The MacKenzie Frontier Tourist Association, is a major achievement for REDI. The association has board members from industry, as well as municipal board members and support. This will help to put us on the tourism map and increase our tourism potential.
- Our support of the Thinklocalmarket.com initiative has allowed regional entrepreneurs to reach new markets and customers, and continues to expand. This invaluable website has given our region access to markets across the world, and will support our businesses for years to come!
- We have found potential locations for bio-industrial sites, and are now working on attracting site selectors to our region. The location of bio-industry within our region is an exciting opportunity for growth and expansion, and will allow us to diversify our economy.
- We have continued our efforts to extend Highway 58 to Rainbow Lake, and are beginning to see some positive feedback. We will open a new route to and from our beautiful region, and allow our producers greater access to markets!
- We were able to hold a productivity event that allowed business owners from across the region the opportunity to work with Donald Cooper, of Cooper Hockey Equipment Fame, to see the potential for their business!